As we ring in 2023, sip some champagne and make a decision to verify in in your trademark portfolio extra usually. It misses you!
Listed here are a number of productive inquiries to ask:
- Do your registrations cowl your actuality? You will have launched new manufacturers or drastically redesigned your brand because you final interacted with the USPTO. Or maybe your small business has expanded or developed, and the scope of your registrations ignores some now-crucial services or products. Perhaps your filings are all within the US, however the EU and Brazil have grow to be main markets for you. If any of this sounds such as you, it’s time to plug some holes.
- Are you ready to satisfy deadlines? Be certain that the fitting individuals know what’s due when, and whom to contact. When you acquired a trademark as a part of a enterprise transaction, let your legal professional and the USPTO know that you simply’re the proprietor now. If the worker answerable for logos retired three years in the past, have a brand new contact get in contact along with your legal professional so reminders don’t get misplaced in bounce-backs or an unmanaged inbox.
- What’s within the pipeline? If a brand new product line is coming quickly, otherwise you’re considering a rebrand, loop in your trademark legal professional sooner slightly than later. We might help you vet your choices when it’s nonetheless early sufficient to vary course simply, and lock in an early “precedence” date by submitting an intent-to-use utility. Equally, in case you count on to launch in new markets, lay the groundwork with a trademark utility. In most locations outdoors the US, the primary to file usually owns a trademark, so it’s much more essential to get formal safety in place in a well timed method.
- Are you lugging round a bunch of deadwood? If a former worker was overzealous, or some manufacturers have been sundown, you could have a stack of functions and registrations within the US or around the globe that you simply simply don’t want. Get a soar on spring cleansing by reviewing your portfolio and letting your trademark legal professional know what to jettison, slightly than be suffering from reminders of deadlines for marks that the corporate barely remembers.
- Are you monitoring your logos of their pure habitat? Your logos are rather more than phrases or photographs on a registration certificates; an important a part of their existence is out on the earth, the place they signify you. If it’s been some time because you mentioned greatest practices to be used along with your trademark legal professional, otherwise you’ve employed a slew of recent advertising people, verify in on how your logos seem in your web site and your merchandise. Are your licensees and companions utilizing them appropriately? Branding pointers – high-res logos, company-approved colour schemes, and many others. – ought to embody greatest practices from a trademark legislation perspective, to ensure you’re not inadvertently harming your marks. Your trademark legal professional might help you flesh out these pointers and double-check your actual world use. (Bonus tip: Talk about along with your legal professional the right way to monitor different individuals’s logos. If one other firm in your house picks a trademark that’s too much like yours, or a straight-up copycat begins utilizing precisely your mark, you’ll wish to find out about that as quickly as potential so you’ll be able to take applicable motion.)
Logos aren’t all the time prime of thoughts, however they’re beneficial belongings – in 2023 and into the long run for so long as you correctly are likely to them. So spend a bit time and assist your logos kick off the New 12 months in model.
And, within the meantime, I’ll resolve to put in writing weblog posts extra usually. Keep tuned!
Copyright © 2022, Foley Hoag LLP. All rights reserved.